History of Atwater Avenue
Atwater Avenue Elementary School was founded in September 1922, with approximately 200 students. Prior to the formation of the school, the land was a lettuce farm. The need for a school in the area was so great that in early 1922, the land was purchased and a provisional school was put together. Construction for a permanent building began during the first academic school year in 1922 and was officially opened during the 1923-24 school year. During the 1923-24 school year, the Atwater PTA was formed. This group help in the preparation of the first Christmas Program, first May Festival, and assisted in raising funds to buy the school's first Victrola.
Atwater Avenue Elementary School was one the first schools in the local area being built prior to a number of nearby schools such as Glenfeliz Elementary School, Irving Middles School, and John Marshall High School. By 1926, the student population of Atwater Avenue Elementary School had grown to approximately 800 students and serviced kindergarten through 8th grade. During World War II, Atwater Avenue Elementary School was used to register men for the military draft and registered local residents for their sugar ration cards.
During the Sylmar Earthquake of 1971, Atwater Avenue Elementary School's original buildings were damaged. The original school building was taken down and the new building was officially dedicated on May 5, 1977. It was during this time that Gracia Street was closed off at Atwater Avenue and the land was added to the school grounds. When the new building was being built, the school's address was changed from 3275 Atwater Avenue to 3271 Silverlake Blvd.
Within the last ten years, Atwater Avenue Elementary School has received several recognitions, awards and commendations. We are extremely proud of our students and staff for such their continuous efforts to reach higher heights. Today, Atwater Avenue Elementary School is one of 554 public elementary schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District servicing approximately 320 students who reside in the wonderful Atwater Village community.